University Library was established in 1912, just one year after the university
was built. Now it had 28,000 square meters of floor space and a total
collection of more than 3.5 million items.
In 1928, the Tsinghua School became the National Tsinghua University.
Between that time and 1935, the Tsinghua University Library developed
rapidly. In 1931, the library building was expanded to 7,700 square meters
which provided 700 seats. The collection increased to 300,000 volumes.
During that period, the University Library Committee was one of the University's
standing committees. Most of the schools and departments had their own
branch libraries. Before the beginning of the Anti-Japanese War, the Library's
collection numbered 360,000 volumes. From October 1935 to September 1936,
the famous literary author, Prof. ZHU Ziqing, was the chair of the University
Library and the Director of Tsinghua University Library.
In 1938, after moving to Kunming, Tsinghua University merged
with Peking University and Nankai University to become the Southwest Associated
University. The Library shipped 23,000 volumes to the new university.
During that move, 10,000 volumes, which were temporarily being stored
in Chongquing, were damaged by the Japanese Army's bombing. Only 3,000
volumes were saved. In Beijing, the library building became a Japanese
In 1946, the collection returned to the original campus, "
Qing Hua Yuan" in Beijing, but the Library was quite different. 175,000
volumes lost. Shortly before liberation, there were only 410,000 volumes
in the Library's collection. When the university was liberated on December
15, 1948, Tsinghua University Library entered a stage of stable development.
In 1952, after the nationwide restructuring, Tsinghua University
became a polytechnical university. Between 1952 and 1958, the Library
transferred 18,000 volumes to other universities. To support the University's
mission of education and research, the Library adjusted and reformed the
collections. While there was a focus on the acquisition of engineering
materials, the Library also collected classic works of Marxism and Leninism
and other excellent literary works. The collection of books and other
bound volumes had grown to 1.35 million volumes by 1966.
During the Cultural Revolution, the budget
of the Library was deeply cut. The Library stopped buying or subscribing
to many important books and periodicals. Fortunately, with the help of
faculty members, students, and librarians, most of the Library's collection
survived that tragic period.
The collection has grown rapidly since 1978 and reached 2.5
million volumes by 1990. The new building of Tsinghua University Library,
which was finished in September 1991, signaled a new stage in the Library's
development. The construction was supported by the donation of Dr. Run
Run Shaw and the appropriation of the State Education Commission. In 1994,
the new building was named after Dr. Shaw. It has received several national
awards for its architectural design. Presently, the Tsinghua University
Library building has 28,000 square meters of floor space and provides
the 1990's, the Library has made great progress in automation and networking.
An advanced and fairly complete information infrastructure has been established.
Two integrated library systems, ILIS of Fujito Co. of Japan, and INNOPAC
of Innovative Interfaces Inc. of the United States of America, have gradually
been installed. Now, under the integrated management of the INNOPAC system,
users can access the Library's Chinese and Western language book and periodicals
collection, and librarians can work on acquisitions, cataloging, serials
management and circulation functions. The Library has also created a CD-ROM
network to provide access to electronic databases through the campus network.
In recent years, an increasing number of electronic resources and virtual
resources have been made available in the Library or online. These form
an information system which is all-direction, open, multi-level, efficient
and service-centered. The system supports the university's goal of becoming
a first-class university.